While recently stumbling onto a yard sale, I picked up a beat-up, lonely picture frame [sans glass or artwork]. It was in bad shape. I think it was going to be tossed into the nearby dumpster as it was sitting on the side of the yard and it was already the end of the day. I offered to trade a crisp one dollar bill for the poor chap. SOLD!
I decided to take the frame out of its misery with a coat of the aqua "oops" paint I had previously used on my step stool. One light coat made the decorative frame stand out, looking distressed, so I didn't even have to put sandpaper to it!
I've had an affinity for everything burlap lately, so I knew I wanted to incorporate a recently acquired coffee bean burlap sack. It so happens the one I chose had a turquoise stripe down the center of the sack, complementing the frame's new hue.
I remembered that I also had some chicken wire hiding in my stash. So...I decided to use both the chicken wire AND the burlap. [Double the effort? Yes, indeed!]
For this project, I took out the "big girl" tools.
[Usually, my tool kit is a bottle of decoupage and a foam brush.]
OK, that was easy [just kidding].
I folded painter's tape over the burlap edges, making it much easier to staple the burlap to the frame, and avoid frayed edges.
I could've stopped right there, but my "altered" state took over.
From the leftover burlap, I cut five banners, stamped them with large alphabet letters [spelling "notes"], and then stitched them along the edges to minimize fraying. Then I stitched the banners to a long piece of linen ribbon.
Sewed on a few vintage Parisian buttons (which I actually bought in a Paris flea market!)
A few handcrafted burlap flowers
Wooden buttons tied onto the chicken wire with twine.
A few vintage [circa 1950's] clothespins
And now the frame has a new life combining function and fun.
Thanks for visiting!
Favorite Project of 2012 Challenge at
Partying with the Best: