Happy New Year! Let's ring in the new, and throw out the old. No, wait! Don't throw out the old. Instead, "upcycle" it.
As I near the age matching the year I was born (mid-50's), I find this creative phrase a metaphor for life. Instead of grumbling about all those things that we mid-50 year old women find astonishing (like hairs on the upper lip, a body in need of toning, and grumpy teenage children, just to name a few), it is time to upcycle ourselves: limit the sugar and white flour, exercise for life, share a smile more often, and stop being so hard on ourselves. The super-Mom syndrome of the past few decades is no longer acceptable. Instead, it is time to find a gentle balance on our continuing journey called life. That being said, here are my Top 10 resolutions for 2011:
1. Donate un-used craft items to Girl Scouts.
2. (Continue to) volunteer at senior centers.
3. Organize (i.e., toss out) expired coupons, old receipts, and newspaper clippings that I saved to read (but didn't).
4. Spend more time reading novels and non-fiction.
5. Take a class to expand my computer knowledge (which will benefit my blog).
6. Take vitamins regularly.
7. Add a day of tennis to my bi-weekly tennis schedule.
8. Hide the chocolate--from me (i.e., don't buy the stuff anymore).*
9. Enjoy spending time (instead of arguing) with our younger daughter for the next eight months before she goes off to college .
10.Think outside the box (i.e., my comfort zone) and expand my crafting repertoire.
*This is going to be tough!
Let's start with Resolution #10: expanding my crafting repertoire; thus, I present my first altered art project for the new year:
Calendar & Photo Canvas
9" x 12" and 6 x 8" canvas panels
coordinating scrapbook paper cut 8-1/2" x 11-1/2" and 5-1/2" x 7-1/2"
acrylic paint & foam brushes
Mod Podge (glossy)
Spiral paper clip
Calendar, cut to fit smaller canvas (I found these for 50 cents at Michael's)
metal label holder & brads
4" x 6" acrylic flat photo frame
photo (which is interchangeable)
double-sided foam tape
assorted ribbon & ric-rac
silk flower (cut from stem and backing)
hot glue gun
If you would like a tutorial, leave me a comment and I will be happy to email it to you. Also, if you like this bright color combination, click here to see the matching mail & note holder I made last year.
Now onto Resolution #9: enjoying my 17-year old--that is, after she yells at me for waking her...Happy New Year!
Editor's Note: This is a repost of my 2011 calendar. Time to update it for the new year!
Linking to these fabulous party blogs:
Wake Up Wednesday
Silly Pearl Project Inspire(d)
A Dose of Paige Create & Share
Project Parade Link-Up